Coverage tools are used to test the structure/logic/code of a program.
It acess source code of a program and identify the suitable criteria first needed to be defined based on the following criteria
- Functional coverage - identifies how many functions were executed
- Statement or line coverage - identifies the number of lines in source code were executed
- condition/decision coverage - identifies number of loop condition executed
- Entry and exit coverage - identifies functions or procedures executed from beginning to the end
- Path coverage - identifies all possible paths from a given starting point in the code has been executed.